Fall Campout - Camp Snyder
The next camping trip for the pack is September 20-22, Friday through Sunday, at Camp William B. Snyder (6100 Antioch Road, Haymarket, VA 20169, Phone: (571) 248-4904). If you intend to go camping with us, please read this email CAREFULLY.
- Address: Camp William B. Snyder, 6100 Antioch Road, Haymarket, VA, 20169. Phone: (571) 248-4904.
- Signups: If you didn't get a chance to sign up at the August cookout, please either let me know via email, or sign up at the Pack meeting on Tuesday, September 17 (7:00 p.m. at Silver Creek Middle School).
- At Camp Snyder, we will be launching rockets on Saturday, September 21, from 1 to 4 p.m. We will be at the rocket field which is right near the main parking lot at the entrance. Every scout and sibling can get a rocket.
- If you have signed up and paid your $20 camping fee, and if you haven't received a rocket yet, please feel free to swing by my house at 3125 Homewood Pkwy, Kensington, MD 20895. I will have a box of rockets outside my front door, so feel free to take one if I'm not home. (Smile, you're on candid camera!) Also, we will be handing out rockets at the Pack meeting on Tuesday the 17th. Rockets are free (one per kid) to scouts and siblings.
- Please note, even though these rockets are designed to be "easy to build," it still takes a few hours to assemble and a few more hours for the glue to dry. Please keep that in mind. Also, here is a helpful video on assembling this style of rocket: https://www.youtube.
- Wadding, igniters and engines will be provided (by me) on Saturday 9/21. Extra rocket kits, glue, hobby knives, tape, sand paper, etc. will be available for rocket assembly and repair if needed on Friday and Saturday (9/20 & 9/21). But I still recommend that you assemble your rocket in advance!
- Arrival Logistics:
- This time we have group sites (yay!), which are large areas for each den -- not individual sites for each family. I will assign a site number to each den soon! Please stay tuned for that information. When you arrive, feel free to proceed to your site number to unload your stuff.
- Note that you will not be able to leave your vehicle at the camp sites! Please plan accordingly! You can drive in to the site to drop off your stuff, but then all cars must be parked at the main parking lot (see map above).
- Here is the Camp Snyder map: https://www.ncacbsa.org/
chain-bridge/wp-content/ uploads/sites/15/2016/09/ Camporall-2016-Snyder-Map- 2016_09_14_13_15_03.pdf (also attached to this email).
- Key Things to Bring:
- For new campers, or for review, see the Pack's camping page. It has lots of good info and advice on what you should bring. Certainly every family should bring your own tents, and sufficient clothing and sleeping gear to stay warm. Check the weather in advance, and be prepared!
- Be sure to bring folding chairs.
- If you haven't paid yet ($20 per family) or provided your health forms yet (link, Parts A and B only), please bring them to the Pack meeting on the 17th. If you can't make the Pack meeting, please give them to your den leader when you arrive at Camp Snyder.
- Food for your family for Friday night (if you are planning on arriving on Friday), Saturday morning and/or Saturday lunch.
- Friday Schedule. Friday night is optional. You can check in any time after 3 p.m. Please plan for your own meals on Friday night, Saturday morning, and Saturday lunch.
- Saturday Schedule (times are approximate):
- If you arrive on Saturday, you can arrive any time after 8:00 a.m.
- Again, you are on your own for breakfast and lunch on Saturday.
- Feel free to arrive early to get your tent set up and for any last minute rocket adjustments. I recommend you arrive no later than 2:00 p.m. if possible, if you don't want to miss the rocket launching.
- Rocket launching at the Model Rocket Launch Area (see map ) will go from approximately 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. I will be at the rocketry field that whole time, so dens can come by at any point during that time.
- Den time will also occur from 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Please coordinate with your den leaders, as some dens also have important den activities to complete during the afternoon.
- Den dinner prep, eating and cleanup: 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Pack bonfire: 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Bring your chairs and flashlights. Each den will perform a skit, we will retire a U.S. flag, and there'll be story time!
- Also, for the first time, we are considering having a Bad Dad Joke Slam. So bring your best (i.e., worst) dad joke to share with the pack!
- Sunday Schedule (times are approximate):
- Den breakfast and packing up: 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Checkout time is 11:00 a.m.
- We will have a hike that will be off site! We will all drive to and hike at Manassas Battlefield starting at approximately 11:30 a.m., but be sure to get the latest timing at the campfire on Saturday night. The coordinates for parking are 38.81276, -77.52069, which is the Henry Hill Visitor Center.
- Other important details:
- Please have your scout bring the Class A uniform (i.e., the shirt, neckerchief, hat) to be changed into for the pack campfire at the end of the day. Regular clothes or the yellow pack T-shirt are fine for the rest of the camping trip.
- Unfortunately, pets are not allowed at Camp Snyder.
- Alcohol is prohibited at Camp Snyder.
- No firewood is permitted to be brought into camp.
- Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Important information from Camp Snyder regarding the other camp facilities: "The program areas such as the ship and fort are usable by reservation only [and we have not reserved them]. The open field areas, fishing pond and trail are open to all.
- There is a Food Lion and CVS (and Starbucks!) very nearby in Haymarket for any last minute emergency items.
Friday, September 20, 2019 - 15:00 to Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 13:00